About Our School
by Karma Dannatt
January 26, 2005
Ainsworth, Nebraska is located in north central Nebraska in the Sandhills of Brown County. Ainsworth has a population of approximately 1,800. It is the largest town in Brown County.
The Ainsworth School was originally built in 1922. In 1949 they added what is now the Ag Shop. In 1954 the Lila McAndrew Elementary and gymnasium was added. In 1965 an Annex Building was moved on the grounds and is now the Superintendents Office. The Learning Center addition was added in 1975. In 2000 the new cafeteria, loft and renovations were completed with the passing of a Bond in 1998. Stop by and visit us, we will show you around.
Ainsworth High School is the only high school in Brown County. Ainsworth is a class C-1 school with an enrollment of 540 students in grades K-12.
During the summer of 1998, distance learning was added to the Ainsworth Community Schools.
Ainsworth is a member of the South West Conference along with Broken Bow, Cozad, Gothenburg, Minden, Ogallala and Valentine.
Ainsworth's mascot is the Bulldog and the school colors are red and white. Some of the activities offered are FBLA, FFA, FCCLA, Speech, Thespians, Mock Trial, Choir, Band, A-Club, Student Council, Yearbook, Cheerleaders, Pom Squad, Art Club, Bulldog Beat, DI, Drama and Spanish Club. The sports offered at AHS are Cross Country, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Track, Golf and Wrestling.